Our thyroid gland is very sensitive and deeply influenced by our diet, lifestyle and environment. Yog Mudra and meditation can increase the metabolism function of the body, which helps to consume the calories faster than any other means. Here is how to practice it.
1Practice the mudra for the thyroid. Join the fingers of both hands in such a way that the thumb, forefinger and middle finger of one hand are crossed and properly locked with the same ones of other hand.
- Try to keep in mind that while crossing and locking them that the tip of right thumb should touch the middle pore of the left hand thumb, tip of right hand fore-finger should touch the lower pore of the let hand fore-finger. And the tip of middle finger of right hand should touch the upper pore of the middle finger of left hand. Keep other two fingers of the both hands free.
2Practise the Ling Mudra and Pran Mudra. By joining the tips of the ring finger and little finger with the tip of the Thumb, the Pran Mudra is formed. Pran Mudra will help in improving the vitality of the body and Ling Mudra will help in improving and maintaining the body temperature.
- Sit in any comfortable pose. Keeping the head and back straight. Keeping hand in above mentioned Mudra.
- Close your eyes and raise and stretch your head especially chin upwards.
- Bring your consciousness on the carotid Chakra (Vishud Chakra).Situated in the throat.It has a lotus with sixteen petals.
- Visualize blue shining light in whole throat region.
- Take a deep breath and start chanting the beej Mantra HUNG and feel the vibration of this beej mantra in throat region again and again.Continue to focus your awareness at your Vishudha Chakra for five minutes or Remain in this state for as long as you wish.
4Practice the Paranayam. The special technique of Bhramri pranayama helps a lot in proper functioning of thyroid gland. Try to practice this pranayama a fresh and calming environment:
- Inhale one long breath.
- Close your ears with both palms.
- Close both the eyes.
- Close your mouth and raise and stretch you head especially chin upwards.
- Concentrate on Carotid Chakra and meditate on the blue colour in the centre of neck.
- Begin slowly exhaling, making humming sound of a bee, while reciting “OM” mentally. Try to feel the vibration in the neck region especially carotid chakra. Repeat the exercise 10 times.
5Perform yogic exercises. Jalandhara Bandha stimulates and activates the thyroid gland and balance metabolism, and is said to best cure for both hypo-hyper thyroid.
- Sit in a comfortable Padamasan or sukhasana cross-legged seated position. Keeping both hands on top of the knees in Pran Mudra.
- Keep the spine straight and the shoulders relaxed.
- Close the eyes softly and take a slow and deep breath and hold the breath in.
- Bend your neck a little forward and drop the chin to the chest.
- Hold the position for as long as comfortable, without strain.
- To release, bring the chin up first and very slowly take a breath in through the nose.
- Relax for few seconds and Repeat the exercise 10 times.
6Practice sarvangasan. This asan is considered as the best asana for thyroid, as it activates it and help improve their function.
- Lie flat on your back. Inhale deeply while raising your legs and spine.
- Support the waist with both the hands. Try to keep your spine and legs straight.
- Breathe slowly and deeply and concentrate on the thyroid gland.
- Stay in the position for few seconds then slowly come back to normal position.